[j-nsp] EX4550 and MX104

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Tue Jul 17 12:46:37 EDT 2018

QFX3500/3600 might have been the only platform where SW change introduced ELS CLI, but as you mentioned they are EOL now.  QFX5100, and all other QFX platforms (outside of QFX3500/3600) supported ELS CLI only from day 1.

On 7/17/18, 12:43 PM, "Tobias Heister" <lists at tobias-heister.de> wrote:

    Hi,

    On 17.07.2018 16:24, Richard McGovern wrote:
    >  So, the original EX CLI and newer ELS based CLI are 100% based upon hardware platform in use, and not SW release, and do not BREAK anything from working.  You cannot change from one CLI to the other via Junos SW code release changes.  This CLI change only happens when one switches to a different newer hardware platform.

    Not 100% true. At least QFX3500/3600 had non ELS Junos version (with and without qfabric) and switched to ELS at one point via software upgrade. But they are EOL by now.
    We had to convert configuration when switching from qfabric to VC when we reused our QFX3500/3600.

    https://forums.juniper.net/jnet/attachments/jnet/switch/17322/1/Getting%20Started%20with%20Enhanced%20Layer%202%20Software%20-%20Technical%20Documentation%20-%20Support%20-%20Juniper%20Networks.pdf
    > ELS is supported on the EX4300, EX4600, and EX9200 switches for all Junos OS releases, starting with the initial releases shown in Table 1.
    > ELS support was introduced on QFX3500 and QFX3600 switches in Junos OS Release 13.2X50-D15. ELS is only supported on the software package that supports
    > Virtual Chassis (the jinstall-qfx-3-* software package) for QFX3500 and QFX3600 switches.
    > For QFX5100 switches, ELS support was introduced in Junos OS Release 13.2X51-D10 and is supported on the jinstall-qfx-5-* software package

    This might indicate that for a short period even QFX5100 did have non ELS software, but i do not remember 100% anymore.

    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/getting-started-els.html#id-understanding-the-els-translator
    has a chapter about translating as well:

    --
    regards
    Tobias