[j-nsp] EX4550 and MX104

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 17 15:41:30 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 04:46:37PM +0000, Richard McGovern wrote:
> QFX3500/3600 might have been the only platform where SW change introduced ELS CLI, but as you mentioned they are EOL now.  QFX5100, and all other QFX platforms (outside of QFX3500/3600) supported ELS CLI only from day 1.

Doesn't make some of the decisions in the ELS code any nicer.

Like, inability to configure "set protocols vstp vlan all" and be done
with "have I remembered to turn on vstp for this new VLAN?" - different
*syntax* for things is fine and dandy, but taking away functionality that
people use "just because different" is not how you make happy customers.

Or having XML output change - this is about the second most annoying
part.  Everybody tells me how great netconf and XML is and that I should
use that to query stuff, and then basic XML tags change their name
depending on whether I query a EX3300 or EX4600 switch.

(And no, you can't compare this to "this is like Cisco CatOS vs. Cisco IOS",
because "that was a different operating system, where everything was totally
different" - inside IOS for switches, such a silly and needless change has
*never* happened)

gert