[j-nsp] Macsec not working with carrier ethernet link

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jul 26 19:53:56 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 05:24:53PM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 05:35:42PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Ask your Juniper rep for a feature that Cisco calls "WAN MACsec".
>
> Juniper calls it MACsec.

"WAN MACsec" is a slightly modified version that Cisco made in order
to allow it to work over carrier ethernet systems that are underpinned
by protocols that block 802.1x EAPOL and 802.1ae among other L2 PDUs.
It is designed to work when you can't get cooperation from your
carrier.

If your carrier uses L2VPN, L2circuit, or some other type of
point-to-point circuit, plain MACsec should "just work" as long as
their physical port handoff to your MACsec switch is untagged.
However, if they use VPLS or some other p2mp protocol that does MAC
learning, it most likely won't bridge the 802.1x and/or 802.1ae frames
unless a special config is used on the carrier side.  Juniper needs to
be configured to tunnel the L2 protocols for example.

> The OP probably needs to make sure the firmware is correct for his platform.
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/macsec.html
> MACsec is also a licensed product.
> Make sure the switches were ordered with the EX-QFX-MACSEC-ACC3 license.

Lack of a license won't prevent it from working, at least with 14.x
and 15.x--it will just warn you every time you commit.  That might
have changed with 17.x or 18.x.