[j-nsp] Juniper UDP Amplification Attack - UDP port 111 ?

Pierre Emeriaud petrus.lt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 05:12:35 EDT 2018

> On 16 Mar 2018, at 8:59, Chris Kawchuk wrote:
>
>> Just a heads up; I'm probably not the first person to see this--
>

> This is rpcbind/portmapper, FYI, which is often abused for
> reflection/amplification attacks.
>
> I'm assuming vMX is a virtual MX - if so, are you sure the issue isn't on
> the hypervisor host?
>
> If not, definitely seems like a bug which should be reported to JSIRT.

this is definitely not on the host:

user at mx960> show system connections inet | match .111
tcp4       0      0  *.111                                         *.*
                                          LISTEN
udp4       0      0  *.111                                         *.*

Chris, besides filters, using un-announced prefixes for your backbone
would prevent this kind of issues (and some others).