[j-nsp] MX480 Filter based forwarding performance

Johannes Resch jr at xor.at
Fri May 18 03:38:09 EDT 2018

Hi,

short answer: it depends :-)

It is done in hardware, and for "sane" filters will work at line rate (e.g.
I have built a setup where few hundred GBit/s are forwarded using FBF on
MX960 with multiple MPC7E). However, if you use lots of exotic match
conditions and/or excessively long filter terms, you could end up with less
than line rate throughput - just as it is the case with general Trio
firewall filter term processing.

Best regards,
Johannes