[j-nsp] MX204 ballpark

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Sun May 27 04:28:18 EDT 2018

 ❦ 27 mai 2018 13:24 +0700, Mark Tees <marktees at gmail.com> :

> Not sure if it’s licensed on FIB usage but I’m trying to gain an idea on
> both full table and partial table options.

For full FIB (or RIB?), you need the S-MX104-ADV-R2 license whose public
price is 20000. However, the limitation is not enforced (you cannot even
add the license to the system, it's just a piece of paper). This kind of
license limitation doesn't exist with the MX80 (or with any other MX
from the same era). This license can be part of a bundle (you should
definitely look at bundles for the MX104, the pricing doesn't make much
sense). If you buy it separately, Juniper easily does at least 30% on
licenses. Personnally, I wouldn't pay anything for such a license since
the MX104 slow routing engine is unable to handle an Internet-sized FIB
without important downtimes during changes (1-2 minutes). You'll have to
select the routes you install in FIB if you want to minimize impacts
during changes and you'll need to be below the licensing limit (256k
routes I think).

I can't say anything about current pricing because I've bought mine more
than 3 years ago, but you should also consider if a MX204 or a MX150
would fit your needs. The routing engines are far more capable on these
(but they are a fixed chassis with only one routing engine).
--
Use variable names that mean something.