[j-nsp] router reflector clients and non-clients

Alexander Marhold alexander.marhold at gmx.at
Wed May 30 03:41:59 EDT 2018

>Instead you should not even connect RR1 and RR2 together
>And treat RR infrastructure built from RR1s I their respective clusters as
>separate infrastructure to RR2s.
>This is the proper way

NO,NO,NO
This was the proper way in 1995, but not actual as...
(Unfortunately most BGP books have been written at that time and are still
sold...)

Never do this as it can lead to missing routing updates if a client A is
connected to RR-1 only and Client B connected to RR-2 only ( because of link
outages) then A does not get the routes from B and vice versa

Therefore---- make each RR with a unique cluster-id ( recommended identical
to router-id ) and then you can either make a normal ibgp connection between
both RRs or each one is the client of the other one

There are nice explanations on the Internet backing me up ( Ivan Peplnjak,
 http://packetpushers.net/bgp-rr-design-part-1/
http://orhanergun.net/2015/02/bgp-route-reflector-clusters/
)

Regards