[j-nsp] Opinions on fusion provider edge

Antti Ristimäki antti.ristimaki at csc.fi
Wed Nov 7 08:02:02 EST 2018

Hi,

We also went with the Fusion with MX10k routers, just because we need 1GE interfaces and also 10GE interfaces with e.g. colored optics. In my opinion traditional L2 aggregation style would have been the preferred and probably more robust way, but then depending on the satellite device it might be harder to do L2 protocol tunneling, which is fairly trivial with Fusion and CCC connections.

Wrt the original question about possible issues with Fusion, we have faced quite a many. Currently one of the biggest pains is to get CoS configured properly on Fusion ports. We have a case open, where any CoS scheduler change stops traffic forwarding out from the cascade port, if one has explicitly configured schedulers for the cascade port logical control (32769) and data (32770) units. This is pretty irritating, as traffic between the extended customer facing port and the CE device works just fine, keeping e.g. BGP up and running, but traffic to/from the core does not work.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the fact that the whole Fusion thing is more or less a black box and as such much more difficult to debug than traditional technologies.

>From monitoring point of view it also a bit challenge that not all information related to satellite ports is not available via SNMP. E.g. queue specific counters are not available but have to be queried via CLI command, and IIRC also ifOutDiscards is not recorded for the extended ports.

Antti