[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 2 06:47:56 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 13:43, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> In theory, the Internet needs to just pass those bits. But in practice, can you actually expect any guarantee of that when those SSH packets are traveling from Taipei, to Hong Kong, to Beijing, to Moscow, to Kiev, to Frankfurt, to London, to Stockholm, and perhaps, finally, to Helsinki?

I think this is wrong thing to focus on. Should we focus on 'will it
work now universally' or should we focus on 'should we strive it to
work'.

I feel like you're saying 'because it does not work universally, we
shouldn't try to ensure it works'. Which is peculiar statement to
make.

Now I could understand 'it should not work, it's bad if it works' , I
don't agree, but at least it's logical.

> Think about it this way, LOCAL_PREF for BGP means nothing outside of your AS.

It's non-transitive, it doesn't cross eBGP border. It's bad example.
I'd use BGP communities as example, LOT of network remove other
people's BGP communities, which I view as bad behaviour, you don't
know if receiver can find value in those BGP communities, even if you
don't do anything with them.

> Again, it's not about the actual feature itself. It's about the lack of a global standard on how to treat DSCP when in the global space.

Immaterial, it's colour in the packet, it may not mean anything to
you, but it may mean something to receiver.

> TDC lives in a good world where it does not have to talk to the rest of the Internet. But provided they have to talk to the rest of the Internet, there is no way they can ensure consistent performance for their customers if they allow inbound or egress Internet traffic to run amok with whatever DSCP/IPP vlaues set outside of their control.

I feel like we're going on in circles and you continue to focus on
something which does not matter and is not proposed.
´

--
  ++ytti