[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Oct 3 10:26:18 EDT 2018

On 3/Oct/18 16:17, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> You brought up a good point,
> I hear these arguments saying "if hyperscalers are doing it in their network we should be doing the same in ours" all the time. But people fail to realize how very different customers these backbones serve. None of the standard managed services or internet services providers have the luxury of tailoring traffic flows before it hit their backbone, we can't send out schedules to our customers dictating when each one is allowed to run backups between DCs so that there's no contention in our backbone - is one example.
> What hypersalers have are highly tailored domain specific environments (closed systems) that have very little in common with tier-1 to tier-3 carrier backbones.
> I imagine these networks will be the first to migrate onto new routing paradigms like intent based routing etc...

The only place it makes sense to copy - wholesale - what the cloud boys
are doing for us telco folk is in the software and automation space.

Trying to copy them at the transport level will not work for us. The
scale they run at is immense, DWDM vendors are manufacturing boxes just
for them.

I was at a conference earlier this year in San Diego, and I listened to
a 3-man presentation made up of British Telecom, Deutsche Telekom and
Microsoft. The scale and thought-process between the cloud boys and us
folk is galaxies apart!

Mark.