[j-nsp] Junos Telemetry Interface (JTI)

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Oct 11 08:59:15 EDT 2018

Wanted to circle back with y'all... I finally got this working...thanks to techmocha10 (see below) and my linux coworker genius (Dave),

I'll just copy/paste a post I just made...

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/vMX/Telemetry-data-is-not-streaming-from-Juniper-vMX-17-4R1-16/m-p/375996#M923

I got telemetry streaming working using this site ... I have a couple MX960's streaming telemetry to the suite of software provided in this Open-NTI project spoken of on this techmocha blog site.  I think my previous problems were related to conflicting installs.... as myself and my coworker had loaded individual items and then the open-nti suite (which i understand is a docker container with all the items like grafana, fluentd, chronograf, influxdb, etc).... anyway, we started with a fresh install Ubunto virtual machine and *only* loaded Open-NTI and it works.

I do not know or understand all of the innerworkings of it at this point, but am quickly learning, even while writing this post... I'm currently using Chronograf hosted at port 8888 and browsing the Data Explorer function and seeing some nice graphs.  (I'm wondering if Chrongraf is simply an alternative to Grafana gui front end, unsure) There seems to be tons of items to monitor and analyze, and I'm currently only sending the following sensor resource from the MX960 and there are several more that can be sent....      /junos/system/linecard/interface/

I am sending the telemetry from the MX960 using UDP transport and GPB format to port 50000 and source port 21111 (mx960-1) and 21112 (mx960-2).  I'm unsure that I had to use unique source ports... as I wonder if the source-ip would have been sufficient to make the streaming sources unique in the Open-NTI server.

Looking at the techmocha pictures, and the "docker ps" command on the linux server, and now this new-found techmocha link (see "deconstructed" below) apparently FluentD is the TSDB (time series db) that is receiving/ingesting the *Native* streaming form of telemetry from my MX960's on udp port 50000 and looks like fluentd hands off that data to InfluxDB port 8086 (which i think happens internally at that server).  (I'm not evening talking about the other form of jti telemetry using openconfig and grpc....I've yet to do that and don't know why I would exactly...which i beleive is ingested using telegraf, unsure)

...the link i followed to deploy open-nti suite....
https://techmocha.blog/2017/06/26/using-opennti-as-a-collector-for-streaming-telemetry-from-juniper-devices-part-1/#comments

...interestingly, i just now found this, which apparently is a way of deploying all the components individually...
https://techmocha.blog/2017/10/31/serving-up-opennti-deconstructed/