[j-nsp] Juniper MPC2E-3D-NG-R-B vs MPC2E-3D-R-B

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Sun Oct 21 07:47:41 EDT 2018

> Kevin Wormington
> Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 6:29 PM
>
> Hi list,
>
> Can anyone tell me the differences in scaling or features of the MPC2E-3D-
> NG-R-B vs MPC2E-3D-R-B.   I know the NG requires an SBCE2.
>
> Thanks,

Without going into too much detail (again),

If all your traffic is single class (like internet) then Trio gen 1 and gen
1.5 (old numbering scheme) are ok.

If however you have traffic of different priorities then you have two
options,
1) either you can make sure you will under no circumstances overload the
MPC2E card -which is kind of hard without custom script checking for PFE
utilization. (rule of thumb imix type of traffic is ok @20Gbps per PFE with
HQOS -i.e. QX chip enabled)
2) or you'll get Trio gen 2, which is ok and since 17.2, if I remember
correctly, can be completely corrected with tuneable pre-classifier feature.
(but this is the thing you need to tune in asr9k as well in order to get QOS
working correctly).

So definitely, if you have the budget you want to stay with MPC2E-3D-NG or
MPC3E-3D-NG.
Also these cards have the good old and familiar 1xLU-1xMQ-1xQX architecture
no weird mutations of it.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::