[j-nsp] MTU issue

john doe johan.borch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 01:52:12 EDT 2018

Hi

So I have some kind of MTU problem.

The setup is a Cisco on one side and a MX one the other. Between them are a
10G wavelength. MPLS, RSVP is running and the ERO of my LSP is taking the
direkt path between the boxes. All interfaces on both sides are well above
8000 in MTU, MPLS MTU on Cisco and Juniper side is also above 8000. Both
boxes are PE routers. If I do a ping sweep from other routers connected to
Cisco-router aswell as juniper-router to respective router both can show a
sweep result that is above 8000, but not the path between them.

If I make a ping sweep from the juniper to the Cisco on a LSP taking the
direkct path I get this:

 100! 5052. 2576. 1340! 2580. 1960. 1652. 1496! 1576. 1536. 1516! 1528!
1540. 1536. 1532!

--- lsp ping sweep result---

Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) is 1532 bytes

What could cause the Low MTU?

Johan