[j-nsp] qfx5100 software upgrades and virtual-chassis

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Thu Sep 6 12:12:59 EDT 2018

I currently have a 6 node VC of qfx5100. All are running 14.1X53-D43.7 and host software 13.2X51-D38. In discussions with JTAC, they claim that upgrading the host software to match the VM, it requires a reboot of *all* nodes in the VC at the same time.

Has anybody else had to deal with this? Are there any work-arounds? Taking the whole thing down is extremely awkward. Can we do a rolling upgrade (manually, I know ISSU/NSSU doesn't handle this) and stay operational? We are working on a plan to re-architect this into 2x 3 node VC and MC-LAG them together, but it would be nice to be able to fix this more short-term.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977