[j-nsp] auto b/w mpls best practice -- cpu spikes

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Thu Sep 13 11:12:41 EDT 2018

There's no one magic knob that fixes CPU spikes in an MPLS environment.
They're all different. What I change to optimize mine might knock your
network over in 5 minutes. You need to determine what is triggering the
churn before you can reasonable optimize it. Take a look at logs and see
what is causing path changes that cause CPU spikes, work from there.

Having pre-signaled secondary paths will generally always be a good idea,
although with those try to use the sync-active-path-bandwidth command too
to prevent stale secondary RSVP reservations. Make-before-break is almost
universally a good idea too.

On code, personally I wouldn't ever go latest and greatest. It usually
means you just find the latest and greatest bugs. :) I go with the newest
stable version that doesnt have bugs that screw me, and upgrade only when
it's a feature I need, optimization I want, or security reasons.

Find your churn causes, work from there.