[j-nsp] Use IGP metrics for BGP routes

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Mon Sep 24 13:22:42 EDT 2018

Hello,

we run ibgp over ISIS/MPLS (exchanging loopback IPs only) and run BGP
loopback to loopback (next-hop self).
Can somebody tell me if there is a possibility to use the igp metric for
the bgp routes.

Let's say I have 2 peerings (AMSIX/DECIX) and some kind of ring network.
My network is closer to maybe AMSIX and I use km distance for igp metrics.
So Amsix is maybe 100km and DECIX 300km away, i.e. igp and lsp metrics of
the amsix-router loopback ip is 100 and towards DECIX 300.

Now I would like to use those values also for the eBGP routes learned from
peers to use the locally nearest exchange.

What I am trying to archieve is that in case of an outage of the short
connection the traffic of dual connected peers swaps to DECIX because the
IGP metric to AMSIX will increase if traffic runs the failover-path (let's
say 1000km).

I can set it statically, but found no way to use the dynamic values.
I thought this would be the result of "set policy-options policy-statement
test123 then metric igp", but that's not the case.
All routes have "MED 0", in case of nexthop=lsp (IPv4) as well as
ISIS-only nexthop (IPv6).

If there is no such option, what is the usual ways to solve such issues?

kind regards
Rolf