[j-nsp] LACP is not running between two VMX

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Apr 25 04:31:03 EDT 2019

> omar sahnoun
> Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:55 AM
>
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to mount a MC-LAG between two VMXs (using EVE-NG). I note that
> the lacp protocol is not operational.
> I did some research (including on this forum). The explanations I find are
> little complicated. That's why I post this message. If anyone among you
has a
> simple solution for this problem.

I haven't tried MC-LAG, but I used standard LAG (with LACP).
The problem I faced was that the standard Linux bridges (usually used to
simulate virtual p2p links between vMX-es won't forward BPDUs including LACP
(and I did not find a way to hack around at that time)
However then I started to use OVS instead of Linux bridges and there's a
settings to enable BPDU forwarding and that did the trick.
So what I had was all ~50 interfaces of all ~30 vMX-es connected to a single
OVS where putting two ports on the same VLAN creates a virtual p2p link
between a pair of interfaces/nodes (very easy to change topology add/remove
links or nodes) -this OVS has BPDU forwarding enabled so now I can bundle
any links between any two vMX-es
I'm then using another OVS for the internal VCP-VFP connections, and another
one for FXP interface and connectivity outside of the lab.

Disclaimer,
I never used the juniper scripts to define and start VMs and connectivity, I
created the VM configs and the whole lab setup myself (later automated with
ansible).

adam