[j-nsp] PFE forwarding bug - PR1380183

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Tue Aug 20 17:32:21 EDT 2019

Yes, I would say in general that staying on the same R release is safest as no new features will be introduced, and yes it is often with new feature development that bugs get created.  I have found that often times affecting not the new feature, but other standard features.  This is IMHO, not necessarily the opinion of Juniper as a company.

That release number explanation is from 2010, and things have changed dramatically since then. Currently the numbering for XX.YR#-S# is:

XX = the year
Y equals the quarter (y = 1, 2, 3 or 4)
R is release number.  Now with each R release, new features are generally introduced.  R changes are no longer SW improvements only, but a combination of SW improvements and new features for feature acceleration.  This is needed with the rate of change within the industry.
S is now the SW improvement only vehicle - replaced the old R, which under prior guidelines, could not include new features .  Therefore S something is now like 90+% of the time the JTAC recommended version to use.

My suggest is pick the XX.YR# you want, go to SR pulldown, and ALWAYS use the latest S release for that stream.

I also suggest listening to your account SE, more than anyone else -__

Rich

PS - X releases are a branch from the mainline, and are specific to a product family.  Done generally to release a new product where XX.Y is not on time or too late to support, or for specific work for some product family stability.  X streams will always eventually branch back into the mainline at some point in time.

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it