[j-nsp] OSPF reference-bandwidth 1T

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jan 17 10:48:16 EST 2019

On 2019-01-16 16:41 MET, Saku Ytti wrote:

> No one should be using bandwidth based metrics, it's quite
> non-sensical. I would recommend that if you have only few egress
> points for given prefix, adopt role based metric P-PE, P-P-city,
> P-P-country etc. If you have many egress options for given prefix
> latency based metric might be better bet.

You are obviously talking about a service-provider perspective here,
since you are talking about P and PE.  Not an unreasonable assumption
on this list of course, but I don't see any indication of what kind of
network Event Script is running

Would you advise avoiding bandwidth-based metrics in e.g. datacenter
or campus networks as well?

(I am myself running a mostly DC network, with a little bit of campus
network on the side, and we use bandwidth-based metrics in our OSPF.
But we have standardized on using 3 Tbit/s as our "reference bandwidth",
and Junos doesn't allow us to set that, so we set explicit metrics.)

	/Bellman