[j-nsp] RSVP-TE broken between pre and post 16.1 code?

Simon Dixon dicko at highway1.com.au
Tue Jul 2 01:22:07 EDT 2019

I had that issue between QFX5110's and MX's.    Some feature at the time
forced me to run 17.4 on the QFX's and they wouldn't establish LSP's with
older MX80's in our fleet that were still running 14.2.

I had to either downgrade the QFX's to 15.1 or upgrade the MX's to 16.1 or
greater.  I ended up grading the MX's as they were overdue anyway.

Simon.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 22:15, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> Hi gents,
>
> Just wondering if anyone experienced RSVP-TE incompatibility issues when
> moving from pre 16.1 code to post 16.1 code.
> Didn't get much out of Juniper folks thus far so I figured I'll ask here as
> well.
>
> The problem we're facing is that in case 17 code is LSP head-end and 15
> code
> is tail-end works, but in the opposite direction 17/15-to-17 (basically
> cases where 17 is the LSP tail-end) the LSP signalling fails.
> Trace reveals that the 17 gets the PATH message for bunch of LSPs, accepts
> it (yes reduction and acks are used), creates the session, then deletes it
> right away for some reason.
> Our testing suggests there are two workarounds for this:
> You might be aware that in 16.1 among other RSVP-TE changes the default
> refresh-time (governing generation of successive refresh messages
> Path/Resv)
> changed to 1200s -so no what you think making it 1200 on 15 side wont do,
> it
> has to be less (e.q. 1999s).
> If you want to keep refresh time at 1200 or higher then another option
> strangely enough is to disable CSPF on the affected LSPs (didn't know that
> SPF/CSPF changes contents of the PATH msg that in one case 17 code is cool
> with PATH msg in other case not).
>
> Would appreciate any pointers.
>

> adam

Dicko.