[j-nsp] l2circuit between QFX-5110 & MX204 - one way traffic

Philippe Girard philippe.girard at metrooptic.com
Thu Jul 18 13:24:55 EDT 2019

Hello

Some important information:

Top level encapsulation flex-eth and flex-vlan-tagging is not supported on QFabric (QFX family) devices. That means you can't use a port that does ccc with any other type of encap, i.e. vlan-bridge, ext-vlan-br, or set family inet on a unit. Only MX with trio chipset can do that. If you did at *any other point* configure some other units on there with different encaps, traffic will remain one way. There is also a PR on the use of flex stuff on QFX that states that at some points labels are not getting programmed properly and circuit will stop working.

You don't need family ccc in the unit, only encap vlan-ccc

You should remove and RSVP-TE and static LSP config that you have to start fresh and make it work only with LDP, then add complexity.

The pop/push operation on the unit is there to get a pure ethernet frame to slap the LDP tag onto and possibly deliver untagged on the other side. It's not necessary if you also deliver on a simple tagged unit on the other side. The difference in the core network will be between ETHERNET-CCC and VLAN-CCC. You don't need to force the encasulation type in config, this is automatic from what you set on both sides.

Also, don't do ignore-mtu, but set the mtu to what you want as a value lower than the physical interface mtu, the same on both sides.

I don't think QFX supports control-word.

Examples of what works:

Xe-X
vlan-tagging;
mtu 9216;
encapsulation vlan-ccc;
unit 538 {
    encapsulation vlan-ccc;
    no-traps;
    vlan-id 538;
    input-vlan-map pop;
    output-vlan-map push;
}

interface xe-0/0/36.538 {
    virtual-circuit-id 13911065;
    no-control-word;
    mtu 9000;
}

If you do use pop/push on the unit, make sure it's there on both sides. You can also deliver untagged on the other side by doing something like this. It will push the frame out untagged since you removed it accepting the packet initially. Keep in mind this dedicates the port to that service.

mtu 9216;
encapsulation ethernet-ccc;
unit 0 {
    no-traps;
    family ccc;
}

interface xe-0/0/12.0 {
    virtual-circuit-id 1385956;
    no-control-word;
    mtu 9000;
}

MX can have top flex-ethernet and flex-vlan tagging and mix and match stuff. For the rest, config must stay the same.

Keep your stuff simple, leave as much as you can to the system to figure out unless you absolutely need to force.

Cheers.