[j-nsp] 40Gig Ether for MX480

Nathan Ward juniper-nsp at daork.net
Thu Jul 18 22:00:22 EDT 2019

> On 19/07/2019, at 1:26 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>
> Is there a reason to not do 4x10G or 1x100G?  It’s cheap enough these days.
>
> If they’re in-datacenter I can maybe understand 40G but outside the DC it’s unclear to me why someone would do this.

40G doesn’t have potential hashing problems that 4x10G does, bundles means potential drama with protocols on some boxes.
Less of an issue on MX which is… generally pretty good with these things, but who knows what the other end hardware is.

4x10G discrete services (i.e. not a bundle) means you’ve likely still got balancing problems.

40G is easier to send over a single pair between DCs, too - 4x10G means muxes or similar.
40G works the same way of course, but does it in the optic.

--
Nathan Ward