[j-nsp] 40Gig Ether for MX480

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jul 19 02:46:22 EDT 2019

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 04:27, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Is there a reason to not do 4x10G or 1x100G?  It’s cheap enough these days.
> If they’re in-datacenter I can maybe understand 40G but outside the DC it’s unclear to me why someone would do this.

Agreed. 40GE future looks extremely bad. This gen is 25G lanes, next
gen is 50G lanes. QSFP56 will support 8 or 4 lanes at 25G or 50G. So
you can get perfect break-out, without wasting any capacity. Commonly
today 40GE port density is identical to 100GE density, wasting 60% of
your investment, just to avoid using gearboxes and retimers.

--
  ++ytti