[j-nsp] Show me all the system syslog things!

Jason Lixfeld jason-jnsp at lixfeld.ca
Thu Mar 21 15:09:30 EDT 2019

Hi,

I’m looking for some ideas about configuring syslog.

Starting from the bare-minumum syslog config, and log-updown in BGP:

jlixfeld at lab# show system syslog
user * {
    any emergency;
}
host 10.219.51.130 {
    any info;
}
file messages {
    any info;
}
time-format year millisecond;

The messages file produces a great set of useful logs for day-to-day operations and monitoring:  up/down for LDP, LLDP, ISIS, BFD, interface, BGP and also executed CLI commands (mgd UI_CMDLINE_READ_LINE).  It’s great.

However, an enormous amount of logs from mgd (UI_*), chassisd, and a bunch of other processes are also caught in this messages file, and while it’s definitely useful to capture, it doesn’t need to be in the same file as the day-to-day stuff.  I’m sure others have constructed some useful syslog configs for separating these day-to-day messages into one file, and other stuff into other file(s).  I’m interested in seeing other people’s work for some inspiration on how I can construct a useful set of files myself.

Anyone care to share?

Thanks in advance!