[j-nsp] Show me all the system syslog things!

Emille Blanc emille at abccommunications.com
Thu Mar 21 16:41:04 EDT 2019

Our 'messages' content is pretty minimal. We try to keep as little data in one lump on the device(s) to make auditing easier.
If we need to login to the device to check something, we want to find an answer quick. If we have time or it's looking like a far more complex problem, then we can scrape the syslog store.

We aren't watching ldp/lldp/isis/bfd by means of forwarding via syslog, but the following catches the things 'we' care about, while cutting down on 99.9% of the noise of which we don't.
Things it doesn't catch, we fudge with event-options, I'm sure you could probably do the same to give you better control rather than leaning on the built-in priorities.
Since we use TACACS+, all our command accounting goes there. In light of this, only config items that have been changed, but creates a nice audit trail by itself (who did what where, when...).  Maybe you would want that to go to a dedicated file if you're not running any centralized AAA...
I would strongly encourage the use of the 'allow-duplicates' in the syslog root to avoid "last message repated 'n' times" from obscuring bigger problems.

We also log things like interface events directly to the device for ease of troubleshooting. I only show the one example to give some idea how it may suit your needs.

syslog {
 host foobar {
  any emergency;
  authorization warning;
  daemon warning;
  kernel critical;
  change-log any;
  explicit-priority;
 }
 file messages {
  any critical;
  authorization info;
 }
 allow-duplicates;
 file interfaces {
  any any;
  match SNMP_TRAP_LINK;
 }
}

event-options {
 policy PROTOCOL-STATE-OVERRIDE {
  events [ rpd_ospf_nbrdown rpd_ospf_nbrup rpd_bgp_neighbor_state_changed ];
   then {
    priority-override {
     severity warning;
    }