[j-nsp] EVPN/VXLAN experience

Raphael Maunier raphael at zoreole.com
Mon Mar 25 10:29:45 EDT 2019

Hello,

For some reason, we had a lot of issue with ISIS with evpn-vxlan on Broadcom chipset.
We had a ticket running for months with Juniper about this. ECMP wasn't working, mac boucing and so on.
We moved to OSPF and ... no more issue since then. The topology was not a basic leaf-spine but a ring ( not officially supported by the SI team @juniper )

 This was on QFX5100

Raphael

On 25/03/2019 10:50, "juniper-nsp on behalf of Sebastian Wiesinger" <juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of sebastian at karotte.org> wrote:

    * Andrey Kostin <ankost at podolsk.ru> [2019-03-22 16:16]:
    > One more question just came to mind: what routing protocol do you use for
    > underlay, eBGP/iBGP/IGP? Design guides show examples with eBGP but looks
    > like for deployment that's not very big ISIS could do everything needed.
    > What are pros and cons for BGP vs IGP?

    We use ISIS. It's easier for people to understand and I don't expect
    any scalability issues with our size of fabrics. We did not encounter
    any drawbacks by using ISIS instead of BGP.

    Regards

    Sebastian

    --
    GPG Key: 0x58A2D94A93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
                -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant