[j-nsp] Tail drop on EX3400

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu May 30 10:38:49 EDT 2019

96ms was based on your proposal that EX4200 is 12MB, which it is not,
it's 2.5MB, so it's 20ms @ 1Gbps.

If we're talking about uncongested device then the worst case is 10GE
=> 1GE step down, where you need to potentially queue the tcp window
growth to reach 1Gbps. Only reason to queue at 10GE port if there is
congestion, that is multiple interfaces wanting access to the 10GE
egress.

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 16:28, Jason Healy <jhealy at logn.net> wrote:

> On May 30, 2019, at 2:23 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> >
> > 12MB / 1Gbps == 96ms. That would be massive buffer.
>
> Not if you're Arista... ;-)
>
> You're correct that it's 96ms for the 1Gbps side, but if packets are arriving at 10Gbps then that's only 9.6ms (ish) before you run out of buffer.  It's the mismatch in speed more than the actual buffer itself (assuming we're talking about megabytes of buffer, not gigabytes).
>
> For steady state at a rate less than 1Gbps, the switch has enough buffer to handle the packets in flight. However, if packets arrive in microbursts then you can exceed the buffer briefly even though the amount of traffic is low on a larger timescale.  15MB of traffic evenly spread out over one second is not an issue, but 15MB of traffic arriving at 10Gbps at the start of a second, even with the rest of the second unused, is enough to overflow a buffer.  Both rates are "15MB/s", but the arrival rate makes a huge difference.
>
> I've certainly seen tail drops on interfaces in bursts like this where it quiets down very quickly, but is enough to trip monitoring alarms.  We've maxed out the buffer configs on specific ports and haven't been able to eliminate the issue (not sure if it's reduced, as it's relatively infrequent).
>
> Jason

  ++ytti