[j-nsp] MX204 vs. MX240??

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Mon Nov 11 23:55:25 EST 2019

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019, Saku Ytti wrote:

>> More or less -- it's an RE glued to the non-fabric-facing parts of the
>> MPC7, which tends to tickle some "interesting" corner cases in code that
>> assumes there's a fabric chip present.
>
> I don't think RE connects atypically in MX204. RE is ETH+PCI
> connected, not fabric.

Atypical only in that there's no chassis switch involved on the Ethernet
link...  The comment above was about software catching up to what's
(functionally) missing from the line card, in this case.

PR1444186 -- GRE packets which are larger than MTU get dropped on MX204
platforms when sampling is enabled on the egress interface -- was a fun
one, and as it happens an MX80 was used to demonstrate that the issue was
specific to MX204.  There's a not-yet-public follow up for that, and I've
also got a half dozen 204s sporadically timing out BFD sessions, with
platform as the only commonality.

New platform, new bugs...  My only real complaint is how long it takes to
get fixes turned around these days.

-Rob