[j-nsp] MX204 vs. MX240??

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 12 05:33:55 EST 2019

On 12/Nov/19 12:02, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Do you run BFD keepalives from LC CPU or NPU? I don't know if MX204
> has real linecard CPU, or if it is like PTX1k where due to cost saving
> there is no separate linecard CPU. If that is the case, and you don't
> want NPU/inline BFD disabling distributed BFD is actually CPU cheaper
> than doing LC CPU and less risky.

On our MX480's, we've known for a very long time that IPv4 BFD is
supported in the PFE. However, IPv6 BFD runs on the RE.

Last year, we got an ER submitted with Juniper to fix this as we believe
IPv4 and IPv6 parity is crucial to IPv6's success. I sent a a reminder a
month ago, haven't heard back. Let me ping my SE.

Mark.