[j-nsp] Managing MX480 fxp0

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Tue Nov 26 06:09:18 EST 2019

Hi,

> I would personally not wire or use fxp0 unless I'm out of options.
> Some other vendors today have real out-of-band ethernet for MGMT,
> meaning own CPU, own memory, own OS not fate-sharing the
> control-plane, which is the correct solution for OOB, but not
> something we as a community are actively asking vendors to deliver.

We built an OOB network exactly like that. Cheap L3 switches talking OSPF to each other over their own 1G DWDM channels, completely independent of the production network. A separate OOB network used to be crazy expensive, but with cheap DWDM gear suddenly all you need is a free DWDM channel and some cheap second hand L3 switches. And that's what we connect our fxp0 ports to.

Cheers,
Sander