[j-nsp] Managing MX480 fxp0

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Tue Nov 26 09:45:31 EST 2019

     Hi,

     How wrong we where doing that with our MX960, QFX5100, and a few
MX104 =D.

     One of our OOB is a bunch of EX2300 switches using STP, on a
different set of dark fiber linking a few Metro data centers together...
but as usual with JNP...  one went nuts and started spewing packets from
the other link while shifting left a few bytes.  When those packets hit
our fpx0s, dos protect did <beep> all and killed their CPU dropping
everything BGP and MPLS (thx JNP) on most routers connected to the OOB
network.

     Now, at each site, we have a mini putter (Lenovo/Zotac/etc) with
SSD, Sealink serial ports, Consumer xDSL/Coax, MFA encrypted VPN. We
enable fxp0 *if* needed...

Other things to think about:

     1. We're even looking at swapping to Cisco L2 switches instead of
JNPs, since this type of event never happened, in our collective
experience, with that brand.

     2. Using OSPF3 (or IS-IS to limit OSPF injection) would have limit
the fpx0 DoS to the local OOB switch...  Which is still too risky for
our taste.

     3. You could use Serial->Ethernet devices instead of the Sealink
but if the OOB switch goes down again, you cannot access the serials.

     PS: In our case it is our fiber bundles and we didn't need to
invest in DWDM ... but its the same idea.  For years an associate of
mine implemented a very large deployment of OOB over DWDM and Cisco L2
switches with 0 downtime.

     Have fun and good luck.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443