EX2300-C-12P PoE issues

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Fri Sep 20 13:15:40 EDT 2019

Chris what is actually happening here is not so much class setting but LLDP/LLDP MED.  By default EX switches support LLDP MED POE-Negotiation, and use this method 1st.  So whatever wattage the external device requests is taken into the total power budget.  Once the switch calculation for these reaches max POE for the switch, no additional POE power will be provided.  This is even if the device pulls much less power than it negotiated for or asked for.  The switch needs to reserve that power calculation as a 'just in case'.  We actually reserve more than the value with LLDP MED tlv, to account for potential cable loss; this is approximately 10% more.

So if you disable LLDP MED, then class value will take over, and there is no need to set static.  Of course setting static is always an option, and if set that value is used regardless of other settings.

FYI only, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it