EX2300-C-12P PoE issues

Chris Lee chris at datachaos.com.au
Fri Sep 20 18:53:56 EDT 2019

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, LLDP-MED did come into my mind at one point as one of our
EX2300-C's has 10x Axis cameras that all do have LLDP enabled, and this
switch indeed has LLDP and LLDP-MED enabled on all interfaces, but I was
probably a little haphazard in my approach to troubleshooting it since we
were keen to just get it going. I just looked up in the Axis FAQ they do
indeed use it "AXIS products as of today utilize LLDP-MED to further
negotiate power according to IEEE 802.3at when connected to a 30W PoE+
switch."

Will keep that in mind if this comes up again that we could try disable
LLDP-MED, otherwise I'm just as happy to manually configure the PoE as
static on all ports.

I did try lab this up yesterday on a EX2300-C to simulate it, all I could
gather was 9x Meraki MR18 and 1x Meraki MR42 access points, and found that
the MR18's all join as Class 0 devices, and the MR42 as Class 4 device, and
all 10x WAP's would boot up from PoE (even though there was 9x 15.4W max
power across the MR18 ports and 1x 30W max power on the MR42 port) and
similarly after rebooting the switch I just couldn't re-create what we'd
seen with the Class 3 PoE cameras.

JTAC's explanation to me was that max power consumption of PoE devices with
class 0 and 4 is calculated by their actual power consumption, whereas
class 3 is calculated by their max power per port if using PoE management
by class.

Your LLDP-MED explanation does make more sense to me however as that
appeared to be what I was seeing where we still weren't quite at the max
PoE budget and at least one or two more cameras should have come online by
my calculations but wouldn't which must be that additional ~10% reserve
keeping it offline.

Cheers
Chris