[j-nsp] EVPN on QFX5200

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Wed Sep 25 11:37:47 EDT 2019

Thank you for reply.
I meant a slightly different thing. Currently my setup is in lab stage
with QFX5110 as spines and QFX5000 as leaves. I need to connect vlans
running in EVPN-VXLAN fabric to an aggregation router, ideally two of
them for redundancy. To have a redundant gateway for hosts sitting in
VNIs I need to run EVPN L3 gateway somewere. It can be done either on
aggregation routers or on QFX5110. Putting L3GW on routers means they
have to run EVPN as well and effectively become leaves for VXLAN fabric.
It may be a feasible solution in the future but for now we don't want to
put EVPN-VXLAN in prod network. So, the another option is to run L3
gateways on spines and somehow route them to agg routers. Possible
connectivity options between edge routers and spines could be:
- have individual P2P routed links Spine-RTR and run BGP session between
them. Balancing and redundancy in this case will be provided by BGP+ECMP
and also limited by their capabilities.
- have LACP to both Spines from each RTR and then L3 interface on each
spine, BGP from each spine to each RTR. Load balancing is provided by
BGP multipath+ECMP+LACP. In this case LACP bundle from spines POV is
switched. Direct connection between spines is necessary in this case.
ROuters in this topology play CE role for VXLAN fabric but connected to
spines instead of leaves.

Any recommendations or links to BCP are appreciated.

Kind regards,
Andrey