[j-nsp] Netflow config for MX204

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Apr 9 15:10:00 EDT 2020

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 06:20:00 +0000
Liam Farr <liam at maxumdata.com> wrote:

> However I am getting export packet failures.

Some loss of flows being exported may be unavoidable depending on
your configuration and environment.  If you want to see fewer errors
you may just have to sample less frequently.  The numbers reported in
your "accounting errors" don't seem that large.

In my repo page were the example config is from you'll see a couple of
images at the bottom that show the difference between the two modes.  I
was aware of the flex mode when I originally did this.  I think at the
time I was under the impression that setting the memory pools manually
offered some desirable predictability.

Looking back at my notes, I think it was when Juniper TAC told me this
that led me to that conclusion: "And regarding flex-flow-sizing; this
configuration results in a first-come-first-serve creation of flows.
Whichever flow comes first, that is allowed to occupy the flow-table if
there is space in the table. Otherwise, the flow is dropped and an
error count is created."  Rightly or wrongly, I recall seeming to want
to ensure some amount of reasonable memory for both v4 and v6 flows.

John