[j-nsp] Buffer Size

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Tue Apr 21 05:49:48 EDT 2020

* Mark Tinka

> On 20/Apr/20 22:58, Mohammad Khalil wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> Am trying to conduct a comparison for campus refresh , my end customer is
>> deeply interested in deep details.
>> He is interested to know the buffer size of Juniper switches (EX series)
>> and I could not find such a piece of information in any place.
>>
>> If anyone has an idea it would be appreciated.
>
> Atrocious - on the 2 we ran; EX4550 and EX4600.
>
> We dumped it and went with Arista.

The vendor is usually irrelevant. Implying that Arista have better/bigger buffers than Juniper is misleading - it depends on the ASIC used. For example, the Juniper EX4600 and the Arista 7050X both contain a TD2 ASIC, so they both have a 12 MB large buffer.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~warner/buffer.html is an excellent resource.

Tore