[j-nsp] Buffer Size

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 21 05:58:19 EDT 2020

On 21/Apr/20 11:49, Saku Ytti wrote:

> You probably didn't mean it, but people will read this as you imply
> ANET does something different to JNPR. If you are comparing EX4600
> (on-chip only) to Arista Jericho (off-chip), that is an entirely
> unfair comparison. ANET also has on-chip buffer models, JNPR also has
> off-chip buffer models.
>
> But yes, EX4600 has like 12MB of buffer, which is not enough to do
> speed step downs or handle multiple interfaces sending to one.

Oh no, we did look at other Juniper models that had large buffers, but
physical and price properties were way out.

The Arista options that lay in the same range as the EX4600 had the
larger buffers we needed without the size and price penalty.

It was mostly annoyance with Juniper for mucking up the EX4600 with ELS,
refusing to listen to us about fixing it until 2021, and the tiny
buffers on both those switches.

I'm not God, this group is intelligent enough to do their own research
before making a purchase, same way I did. That is why my example was
only about the EX4550 and EX4600, which implies Juniper has other boxes
that have deep buffers, if the OP is insistent on maintaining Juniper.

Mark.