[j-nsp] Next-table, route leaking, etc.

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Sun Feb 9 23:51:54 EST 2020

To deal with this on MX stuff a way that looked like we did previously on Redback gears (old beast but at least on them this «just works» with double lookup), we use a «third part« VRF. This is a dedicated empty VRF on each router with only a bunch of static next-table routes. It is a no-vrf-advertise VRF (config knob normally used in hub and spoke architectures), so it doesn't export its content toward other PEs , but only locally (auto-export).

Each time we have a discard route in an origin VRF that we need to import in some other VRF (local or not, but let's say local), we create a copy of this route in this special VRF, with a next-hop attribute instead of the discard, and a special community.
This is this route that is finally imported by other various local VRFs using auto-export (so the import policy is the same for all routes for any MPLS VPN, local routes or not).

Additionally:
- all the normal VRFs have a first term in their export policy to prevent the re-export of those special imported routes (based on the special community – this is because no-vrf-advertise imported routes become exportable to other PEs once locally imported in another VRF using auto-export).
- in all our import policies, importing static (but also aggregate, in fact all but bgp), get its preference changed to more than 5 (default static preference – we use 168 but whatever), so once the next-hop route is imported in the VRF that contains the former discard route, no route loop ensues (the next-hop route is Inactive because of Route Preference).

Toward the other PEs, the «true» discard route is exported from its VRF.

In importing VRFs, the imported next-hop route wins over the imported discard route (Inactive reason: Number of gateways).

The goals behind all this stuff were to:
- avoid creating a next-hop route in each VRF that needed the route
- keep the same import/export policy standards for about all the VRFs
- use the same conf whatever the null/discard route is to be imported in local or distant VRFs (no difference like on IOS/SEOS and so on)
- use auto-export, so no need for ribgroups (much closer to what was done on other vendors gears)