[j-nsp] Junos L3VPN & AS-PATH LOOP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Feb 22 09:29:09 EST 2020

On 21/Feb/20 17:03, Saku Ytti wrote:

> IOS does not check AS_PATH in iBGP sessions, JunOS does. Neither is
> wrong or right, standard is unopinionated here. I like IOS behaviour
> better.

I'm with Saku - I prefer the Cisco philosophy as well.

This is the reason for a full iBGP mesh when trying to get your internal
routers to talk iBGP to one another (assuming you do not go with route
reflectors), because by default in Cisco-land, AS_PATH's do not exist
for iBGP NLRI.

As such, the only way to circumvent the possibility of creating a loop
in your network is to go with the n-squared iBGP mesh "problem".

Mark.