[j-nsp] Any red flags on this MX240 configuration...

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Wed Feb 26 10:03:51 EST 2020

#1, yes 16XGE module works with all varieties if SCB.  I assume you already own the equipment list.  I therefore 'think' your question/concern is with such equipment, any concern going from 16.2 to some later release, which I am guessing might be something like 18.4R2-S3 (TAC recommended I believe).  You should have no concerns, that I am aware of.

If the list below is something you are planning to purchase (you must have at least 1 x MX, as you have experience with MX on 16.2), I would HIGHLY recommend that instead of below, you look at a MX204 instead.  Very likely less cost, more performance (400GE capable), and you can pair any 2 MXs for your redundancy, as Routing (BGP) is the solution, not HW.  The downside is, if you want more 10GE connections, you would need to use a proper 40GE Optic (MX205 4 x 100GE ports, support either 100GE or 40GE - QSFP+) and then use some sort of breakout scheme.  The breakout scheme is generally an external patch panel of some sort - plenty [non-Juniper] options for this.

In general, IMHO, if looking to upgrade older MXs, you should always at least look at an MX204 solution too.

Just FYI.  Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it