[j-nsp] Any red flags on this MX240 configuration...

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Feb 26 10:16:55 EST 2020

On 2/26/20, 9:38 AM, "juniper-nsp on behalf of Benjamin Collet" <juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net on behalf of juniper-nsp at clt.tf> wrote:

    On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:11:50AM -0500, Brendan Mannella wrote:
    > We have MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP and SCBE working in production. Haven’t noticed
    > any issues.

    That's good to know. I wonder if there are any limitations whatsoever or
    simply a mistake in the documentation and the Hardware Compatibility
    Tool).

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, the original SCB only has 80Gb/s of fabric capacity. While the 16XGE MPC will technically work, it will only work at half capacity. For full throughput capability, you would need two SCBs for a total of 160Gb/s fabric capacity, but if you lose one of the SCBs, you lose half your capacity. Again, my understanding could be wrong, so someone please correct me if so.

It is just not worth it to invest in SCB or even SCBE at this point. I'd also be concerned about the 2GB RE with 3x full route BGP feeds. While it will hold 3x full feeds in RIB, your memory usage will be pretty high (+75-80%) and if enable something that uses RE memory like sampling, you might as well forget about having a solid router anymore.

-evt