[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 22 13:45:59 EST 2020

On 22/Jan/20 20:39, Tim Durack wrote:

> If you can stomach the BU wars, UADP is a nice ASIC - I think the Cat9k has
> legs, but the Enterprise BU is definitely in a parallel universe. I asked
> about porting XR to run on UADP. That didn't really go over well.

Personally, I think IOS XR is too heavy for the Metro.

> I am wary of NCS due to the merchant silicon and general uncertainty - why
> announce the Cisco 8000 with no family loyalty? Looks like a replacement to
> me.

Just like the PTX, Cisco will target-sell the NCS6000 to specific large
carriers, predominantly in the U.S. Those will be specific deals behind
closed doors. They will continue to build the box in small numbers for
those customers, but they'll rely on the "edge" routers for the majority
of their business, just like Juniper do with the MX.

So the Cisco 8000 is their attempt, I feel, to lure customers that need
something larger than an MX or ASR9000 in the core or dense edge, but
are not large enough to justify the PTX or NCS6000. I could be wrong,
but that's my 1+1.

Mark.