[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 23 01:38:36 EST 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 20:46, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> Personally, I think IOS XR is too heavy for the Metro.

The new Cisco 8000 series ships with new, thinner variant of IOS-XR
(it is not same IOS-XR 7 that ASR9k will run). Potentially this
thinner IOS-XR could find home in Catalyst and ISR. As a customer, I'm
not sure if that is what I want. I think I may actually just want
monolithic IOS-XEd with _proper_ commit and BGP-API (so I can
implement policy language in language of my choice)

> So the Cisco 8000 is their attempt, I feel, to lure customers that need
> something larger than an MX or ASR9000 in the core or dense edge, but
> are not large enough to justify the PTX or NCS6000. I could be wrong,
> but that's my 1+1.

I suspect long term they intend to replace ASR9k with 8k series. But
GSR is still sold, by the time 8k is replaced, there probably still
are few ASR9k customers, so overlap will be thing for long long time.

--
  ++ytti