[j-nsp] [EXT] Wishing for clarification on how dhcp-relay works with multiple server addresses

Benny Lyne Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Jun 12 10:56:50 EDT 2020

Matti Saarinen <mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi> writes:

> Based on the forum responses[1] I'd say we have to live with the
> situation where we need to run dhcp-relay without forward-only on
> interfaces connecting networks needing PXE. The annoying issue is that
> every interface without forward-only eats one scale-subsrciber licence.

One of many annoying issues...

The old DHCP helper solution worked. The new has been a disaster.

It is great that the new solution is there for those who need subscriber
management. However, for regular enterprise DHCP relay it is
over-complex, brittle, and buggy.

It took more than 3 years to get the new code halfway-workable on the
SRX series. For the longest time we had to run a script every minute to
clear out the relay table, otherwise some legitimate replies from
servers would not be forwarded.

/Benny