[j-nsp] Autonegotiation woes with EX-3400

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 5 14:42:20 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 12:51:45PM -0400, Norman Elton wrote:
> We've got a sizable deployment of EX-3400s on campus, and have noticed
> that after a reboot, some switches fail to bring their uplink
> connection online.

Never seen a problem with our 3400s (3rd party SFP+ modules, uplinked
to Aristas mostly, some to Cisco ASR9k).

18.1R3.3 and 15.1X53-D59.4 here.

> We've long standardized on running autonegotiation, everywhere. Do
> others actually disable autonegotiation on "managed" connections,
> where you're configuring both ends of the link?

Devices or Carriers disabling autoneg are a major PITA and need to
rot in hell.  It's a mandatory part of the standard and should be
treated as such.

(So, no, we never disable autoneg unless talking to something stupid)

gert