[j-nsp] How to pick JUNOS Version

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Sep 2 03:19:54 EDT 2020

So - been giving kinda a fair bit of thought to the original question about how one picks their junos version.

I think - for me it comes down to a whole range of variables - and a lot of them relate to resources among other things.

  1.  Don't upgrade if you don't need to - if there is absolutely nothing you need in the new code - and no serious fixes - don't fix what aint broke

That's rule number #1

Then - it gets a little more difficult - well in our case anyway - we do it this like:

  1.  Join the beta program - and every beta that comes out - the first thing we do is run the production configs through it in the lab - make damn sure everything we have CURRENTLY is working - if it aint - file the bug reports and try and get it fixed before release
  2.  Start looking at the new features - decide what may be useful - if anything - and start testing to that to death - again preferably before release so that the fixes can be in when it is released
  3.  If there are no new features that we see that are of interest - skip the release - though we tend to be pretty early adopters of a lot of tech - so we upgrade pretty frequently.

The con of the approach we take - is that it requires resources - both time and human resource.

The advantage of it is - we know exactly where the trip points are going into each release - we know what we can live with and what we can't.  I've also found that it develops your skills immensely - because when you're working with stuff pre-release its not like you can go running to jtac - ideally you wanna be able to get to the point where you can identify the bug - and go as low level as possible so when you submit your reports you can point to the exact case and say - this is where there is a problem.  The net result of this is that you learn one hell of a lot about the devices and the protocols in this process.

I realize that what I've said above is almost certainly not applicable to most companies - but it is how we approach things - get it early - test it to death in the lab - and then decide if its worth deploying.  I'd also say - the more people who go out there and test early - the better advantage for everyone else - because the fact is an operator is going to always find things and see things that a vendor probably won't - purely because of diversity of the networks and how much stuff the operators are likely to throw at the box.

Anyway - that's the kinda approach we like to take.

Thanks

Andrew