[j-nsp] MX204 and QSFP+ breakouts

Tobias Heister lists at tobias-heister.de
Sat May 1 07:53:17 EDT 2021

Hi,

On 30.04.2021 23:21, Ross Halliday wrote:
> Do FS QSFP+ breakout DACs and AOCs work on this platform? Is there some magic sauce firmware I'm too daft to find?

We had some troubles in 40G and 100G DACs on MX204 and MX10003. e.g. 40G
DAC worked in $old versions and suddenly stopped in $newer versions. It
seems it stopped working when 100G DAC support was officially
introduced/supported.

https://apps.juniper.net/hct/product/?prd=MX204
Officially they do not support 40G DAC (regardless of type), but 4x10G
SR or LR Breakouts are supported and do work in our LAB.

Sometimes it can make a difference whether or not the third party optics
are coded to the correct SKUs. So it may help to play around with
different codings, i think FS also offers a Box to change the programming?

Juniper has specific SKUs where they support the 4x10G Breakout (e.g.
QSFPP-4X10GE-LR and SFPP-4X10GE-SR), but so far Breakout also worked
fine on other parallel optical transceiver we tried.

regards
Tobias