bgp graceful-shutdown receiver

Michael Hare michael.hare at wisc.edu
Mon Apr 18 11:24:01 EDT 2022

Hello,

Is anyone using "bgp graceful-shutdown receiver" successfully out-of-the-box for eBGP peers without modifying their import policies to account for 65535:0?

For example our production AS peers with lab AS over eBGP.  Import policy on the production side sets local preference.  "I was assuming" that the reception of 65535:0 would set localpref to 0 and that's not what I see.  JTAC is claiming this is expected and that any import policy that sets local preference will override having graceful-shutdown receiver enabled.

Yes, I have confirmed gshut is enabled and I am indeed receiving 65535:0.   If I change my import policy to match 65535:0 and set local pref to 0, it unsurprisingly works.  Thankfully I have disaggregated the terms that accept a route from those that set local preference so I'm just looking at a major annoyance instead of major pain, but I find this a bit unbelievable as a default behavior.  But perhaps I'm missing the concept of why the hook to set localpref appears to be at start of policy evaluation and not after route acceptance inside RPD.

-Michael