[j-nsp] polishing an antique m7i

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jul 7 10:25:51 EDT 2022

On 7/2/22 20:00, Randy Bush via juniper-nsp wrote:
> - old m7i with RE-B-1800X1-4G-S
> - currently running 14.2R7.5
> - hard disk dying
> - have nice new 1tb sata ssd for it
> - juniper support download is pushing 15.1R7.9 at me
> - should i worry about increased memory use or license changes in 15?
> - if so, where the heck is 14?

If 14 is missing from the repository, then it's probably because it is
EoL. I can't find 14 for even the MX, so chances are Juniper stopped
maintaining it a while ago. I recall debuting 14 into our network back
in 2014, and it had tons of problems. I'd be surprised if Juniper are
still actively supporting it.

For the M7i, chances are your memory footprint will bulge with 15, but
likely not as much as if you went to higher code (which the M7i doesn't
support - it tops out at 15.1).

I'd be keen to hear if you can get the SSD drive to boot, though.

> - and with the support portal rearrangement, i can not find destructions
>    for making a bootable usb stick from install-media-15.1R7.dms (on a
>    mac or an rPi, of course:) <blush>

This is dated, but might offer some help:

http://networkarch.blogspot.com/2013/02/building-bootable-juniper-usb-stick-on.html

Mark.