[j-nsp] Junos 21+ Killing Finger Muscle Memory...

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Sun Jul 16 12:47:04 EDT 2023

On 16/07/2023 00:51, C K via juniper-nsp wrote:

> Indeed. And as you’re alluding to and most probably already know this — yeah most of us end up settling on “some release train” for a while, after we spend 3-4 months testing it thoroughly in the Lab... then spend 18 months getting everything in the network “up to that release”. With hundreds of beefy devices spread across the globe, and having to do customer notifications to each and every service, (and get them to also agree on the time that we’re doing it.. some of my customers have a LOT of weight, and can say ’no’), it does take quite a while to get through it all.
>
> And yup - by that time, 2+ years has gone past, and it’s time to do it all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)

You missed the fun part where you have to explain *again* every few
months to the CISO and their minions why you can't adhere to the
written-by/for-Windows-admins "Patching Policy" that says everything in
the company is upgraded to "the latest release" within 14 days, no
software version is ever "more than three months old", and similar
messages of joy ;)

Cheers,
Tim.